Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shut Up and Pedal!

I've really been struggling with the situation at work and some issues with my babysitter. I'm having a hard time letting go and letting God. I am working again today and have awakened to an uneasy feeling. Someone told me on Tuesday that pain is very hungry; and pain must consume pain. Often times a person in your life who is causing you a great deal of pain are themselves in a great deal of pain and they are creating pain in you for their pain to consume. Is that clear as mud? It was very enlightening to me. It helps me to have a little bit of compassion for the people who are causing me grief.
When I did a short Bible study in Proverbs this morning I was reminded to, "trust in the Lord with all [my] heart and lean not on [my] own understanding." Proverbs 3:5 There was an illustrative narration in my study by an unknown source:

At first I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping the things I did wrong, so
as to know whether I merited heaaven or hell when I die...but later on when I recognized God, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride, but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that God was in the back helping me pedal. I do not know just when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has not been the same since. Life without my God, that is...when I had control I knew the way...it was the shortest distance between two points. But when He took the lead, He knew delightful longcuts, up mountains, through rocky places, and at breakneck speeds! It was all I could do to hang on! Even though it looked like madness, He said, "pedal!" I worried and as anxious and asked, "where are you taking me?" He laughed and didn't answer. I started to learn to
trust. I forgot my boring life and entered into adventure. And when I'd say "I am scared," He's lean
back and touch my hand...I did not trust Him in control of my life at first, I thought He'd wreck it.
But He knows bike secrets. He knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, jump to clear high rocks, fly to shorten scary passages. And I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places, and I am beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful, constant companion, my God. And when I am sure I just cannot do anymore, He smiles and says, "pedal."

I long for the day when I can be in this place. To be more trusting of my God, to remeber that He's in control, that He will get me through the rocky places, that He is a great navigator of all things difficult.

May He bless you today and may you allow Him to take the front seat.

No comments: