Where does the time go? I began the summer with a whole list of "fun" things to do with the kids...that list has very few check marks on it. I don't know where the time went. But, I do have a list of what we did this summer...it goes like this:
1. I went to NYC, called home from La Guardia Airport to let Dan know my Orlando-bound plane was delayed. He proceeded to tell me that he and Katie just got back from the ER. She fell and possibly broke her wrist. Nice. I got in at 2:00am. Called the Orthopedic doc at 8:00am and spent the afternoon in the doc's office only to learn it was just a sprain...thank God.
2. Took all 3 kids to the beach...by myself! I must have had a moment of temporary insanity to think that this would be fun and relaxing. Fun, yes for the kids...not even remotely relaxing for me. What was I thinkin'?
3. We decided to save $ this summer, so both sets of grandparents "switched off" with babysitting on the days that I worked. One week my mom came to our house, the next week the kids spent the night at Dan's parents' house. Those weeks that the kids spent away...pure bliss...a little hard to adjust to the silence and the sleep at first, but that didn't take too long! I'm kinda sad summer's over...no more "me" time every other week.
4. Orthopedic Incident #2 - Adam tripped over something on the floor in his room when he was supposed to be in bed...2 lessons here - put things where they belong, and go to bed when Mom says. Anyway, the foot doubled in size and the kid limped for 2 days. Having learned the signs and symptoms of a sprain from Katie's ordeal earlier in the summer, I wrapped his foot in an Ace bandage, made him do Epsom Salt soaks, and waited for it to get better. It did, then Katie stepped on the foot and it got worse. Made another trip to see the Orthopedic doc. 4 x-rays later...it's just a sprain, he's too little for crutches or just "keeping his foot up" so the doc recommended a good pair of running shoes to support his little foot...I never thought I'd do it, but I went out and bought my 5-year-old son a pair of Nike shoes. Many $$'s later, the foot's better.
5. After much ado...which included zone waivers, waiting periods, physicals, shot records, registration appointments, blah, blah, blah.............Adam & Katie got registered for Kindergarten! Again, where does the time go?
6. We went on a "Staycation" this past weekend. That's kind of like a fake vacation. We went to the beach for a night. Cocoa beach. One of my least favorite beaches...not sure how we ended up there. We spent Friday on the beach, slept over, and woke up the next morning, checked out and went to one of my favorite beaches, Playa Linda. A much more beautiful beach, with much better waves than Cocoa.
7. Orthopedic Incident #3...Dan was body surfing at Playa Linda Beach, got hit by a huge wave, and has had constant, unbearable, uncontrollable pain radiating from his right arm, with numbness in the fingers of his right hand. So, I made yet another call to the orthopedic doc. Dan is going to see him today.
8. Adam & Katie will meet their Kindergarten teachers on Thursday and school will start 1 week from today. Good Times!
I'm hoping to have one last week of fun with my sweet babies. My goal is to just really keep my focus on them this week. I have the rest of my life to clean the house and do the laundry. This is the only "1 week before they start Kindergarten" I'll ever have!