Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Crud

My poor, poor Sophie has the crud. I don't think Adam & Katie have ever been this congested. I'm slathering Vapor Rub on her like body lotion. I'm giving her Mucinex, and hot water with honey. She's a miserable little girl right now, and is loving every minute of all the attention she's getting. I've been letting her sleep with us so I can watch her and keep her head elevated.


I struggle with when to take kids to the doctor for this reason: doctors over-prescribe antibiotics. I know this because dentists over-prescribe antibiotics. Want to know what happens when we take antibiotics unnecessarily? They don't work when they are absolutely needed to fight a real infection. I should mention that not all doctors over-prescribe, but a great many of them do. I should also mention that I am by no means anti-doctor, or anti-modern medicine. I have a great deal of respect for physicians.

My kids have never been on antibiotics. This could be because I generally don't take them to the doctor when they're sick, but it could also be because their immune system has been allowed to do its job. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.


So, back to Sophie. If she's not better by Friday, I may just have to break down and take her to the doctor.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I almost never take my kids to the doctor either and I think only Hannah has been on antibiotics and that was when she was 4 mos. old. They are also pretty healthy and don't usually get really sick. In fact, I don't think we've been to the doctor because one of them was sick in years. At least two if not more. Maybe their immune systems are better because of no antibiotics or maybe that's just how they are. Ollie and I seldom get sick either. The last time I was sick was a year and a half ago. I hope Sophie feels better! Hannah has had a mild version of the creeping crud. She ran a low grade temp on and off and has been really snotty. She's much better today though.