Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Story of a Girl...

A few weeks ago I mentioned that you should swing back by here for a story involving Katie, a dead mouse, and an almost-empty water bottle. Well, here's how the story goes. The first day I worked at my new office here in town, my mom babysat for me. When I got home from work my mom gave me a "heads up" about a dead mouse she found in the garage. She kicked the mouse out of the garage onto the driveway (don't ask me why she didn't kick it out of site into the bushes, I guess she wanted me to see the good that she had done by at least removing it from the garage). She showed me where it was when she was leaving (don't ask me why I didn't kick it out of site into the bushes, I guess I'm my mother's daughter). After waving goodbye to my mom, I left the twins to ride their bikes on the driveway (for those of you who don't know where I live, don't be so quick to snatch my mom badge, we are in a very rural area - so it's relatively safe for the kids to play alone just outside the garage), I went in to start cooking dinner, got a phone call from a friend, talked on the phone much longer than I should have, and was interrupted by Katie who very proudly walked into my kitchen with a plastic water bottle that I saw had about three inches of water in it. What I didn't see until she, again very proudly, said "look mommy!" and shoved the bottle toward my face. Oh. My. Word! The dead mouse was now in the water bottle. "Who put that in there?!" I exclaimed. "I did." Said Katie, again, full of pride. Now, quite horrified, I ask, "Katie, how did you get that in there?!" Katie says, "just with my fingers." Uhh, duhhhhh. I'm dumbfounded. I have no words. I snatched the water bottle from her, told her to go wash her hands with hot water and to do it twice. Did I throw the bottle in the trash? No! I just had to show Dan this half-empty water bottle with a dead mouse floating in it. I have to admit, looking back at this, there are three generations of females here who all made poor choices regarding this one little dead mouse, but Katie's choice, oh. my. This chick is quite the bug collector, and "toucher" of all things gross. She's not disgusted by anything.

Later that evening when I showed Dan, it pretty much just reinforced his long-time hypothesis that Katie was deprived of oxygen at birth. She does do some very strange things, but I think she's just very artistic. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have a buggy kind of gal too who likes most things creepy crawly - and who smells everything. Why? Just because she can, I guess.

Smith Schoolhouse said...

Oh I don't know if I could have handled that! I am so squeamish when it comes to mice.