Friday, December 26, 2008

So Long Santa!

Part of me loves the magic of Christmas, the other part of me very strongly "dislikes" the whole "holiday thing" in general. My family has never been into holiday get-togethers, and typically when we do get together I end up being referee to some unnecessary conflict. This year wasn't so bad though. I only had to talk one person down from the ledge and there was no begging on my part, it was basically, "come down if you want to." I've learned a lot this year, such as:
1. what I can and cannot control, 2. I can't change reality, and 3. the fact that it's not my responsibility to "keep the peace." These revelations in my life have liberated me in ways that words cannot even express. My new-found mantra this year, "It is what it is!" I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Lori said...

What a difference a year makes, right? I'm so glad you had a good day.

Tiffany said...

Good for you!!! My saying is, "not my rock." If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll e-mail you the link to the post that tells the story.
This is something that is very hard for me--always wanting to make sure everyone is comfortable and happy. I have to mentally remind myself that it's not my responsibility.
I'm ready to put away all of the Christmas decorations, I'm craving normal life!

Sue said...

I hear ya Tiff!